Re: Reminder accidentals with octaviation

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Reminder accidentals with octaviation
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:03:50 +0100

Am 20.11.2013 12:58, schrieb David Kastrup:
pls <address@hidden> writes:

On 20.11.2013, at 12:25, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

a chord is repeated an octave higher, which is indicated by an \ottava.
Does the repeated chord need accidentals or not?

Are there rules for this? Do you have any opinions?
Gould's gut feeling says you should "repeat an accidental if sounding
at a different octave, even when the same pitch is used with an octave
sign".
Huh.  That appeals more to my mathematician's gut than my musician's.

Same with me.
When looking at my example as a pianist it is _perfectly_ clear what is meant. But looking at it as an editor/engraver, I'm insecure and think "hey, they _are_ different notes."

I'll be pondering this a little more, waiting for maybe more opinions.
At least I'm quite sure adding the accidental won't cause serious formatting hiccups, even at that second-to-last-minute stage ...

Urs