Re: Learn from Finale 2014 (seriously)?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Learn from Finale 2014 (seriously)?
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:57:41 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2013/11/20 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
>> Am 14.11.2013 12:03, schrieb SoundsFromSound:
>>> To be honest, the first thing my eyes went to was the tremolo notehead mess.
>>> That looks painful.
>>
>> They noticed too ;-)
>> http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/rolls-tremolos-jari-williamsson-and-finale-2014/
>
> Fascinating - someone wrote code that fixes their crappy tremolos, and
> instead of incorporating this fix, they let it live as a plugin
> (which, by definition, won't be used by everyone).  How miserable.

They might need a copyright assignment for that to be on the safe side,
and the plugin might solve the problem at a location that does not make
sense for the codebase proper.

We have a whole lot of solutions for various problems in the LSR instead
of LilyPond's codebase as well.

> Anyone wants to write a blog post about it? ;-) I'm too busy now.

Well, I do find it amusing, but it's not like we are in a position to
gloat regarding user contributions.

The good thing is that power users/programmers can contribute to the
_core_ and are not reduced to producing "plugins".  And a considerable
part of the core is manageable via Scheme rather than C++ and does not
require recompilation for munging LilyPond.

At least we are getting our stem lengths consistently better (not just
tremoli).  The Finale stem lengths, also regarding beamed notes, looks
rather consistently disproportionate when compared with actual engraved
scores (not just in comparison to LilyPond).

--
David Kastrup