Re: smaller grace notes

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: smaller grace notes
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:03:07 -0800 (PST)

Hello Marc,

I am glad you liked that little code. I tweaked it a bit more, and now I
think it looks better. I simply added these lines to each one of the four
types of graces:

\override Flag.font-size = -5
\override Stem.length = 3.7
\override Beam.beam-thickness = 0.35

Also, for the appoggiaturas and acciaccaturas, I added the following lines:

\shape #'((0 . 0.2) (0 . 0) (0 . 0) (0 . 0)) Slur
\override Slur.height-limit = 1

The first line brings the slurs slightly closer to the noteheads (since they
are smaller now, this makes it look better). The second line avoid a slur
that is too extended in the Y-axis.

* * *

A hint: when looking for which options can be tweaked or overridden, it is
always helpful to search for the interface options. For instance, in the
"beam-interface" page
(http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/internals/beam_002dinterface),
you will find that ther eis an option named "beam-thickness" defined as:

beam-thickness (dimension, in staff space): Beam thickness, measured in
staff-space units.

* * *

So here is the updated code:  grace_notes_with_smaller_noteheads.ly
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n154251/grace_notes_with_smaller_noteheads.ly>

And here are the results:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n154251/graces.png>

Take care,