How to best do chord/melody arrangement

From: Ian
Subject: How to best do chord/melody arrangement
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 22:41:01 +0000 (UTC)

Hi, I have a simple question but have had no luck finding an answer in the
manual or via google. I'm sure it is there - but I have not found it, so I
hope someone here can point me in the correct direction.

I play a lot of guitar pieces where I will play several single notes
followed by a chord ... then some single notes etc. When I write this by
hand, the notes are as normal and for the chord I use a note with a slash
rather than a circle at the bottom and I write the chord name above it.

I am notating it something like this in lillypad (2 sample bars)

a1
\chordmode{e2.:7} e'8 c8

This works well enough in the .ly file for me but there are a few issues
with the presentation.

1. The chord is shown as a collection of notes rather than a simple slash
note. I can live with that though - it's just personal aesthetic.
2. If I show chordNames then I get a chord name for all the notes and the
chords. I only want to see chord names for the actual chords though (i.e.
not for the single notes).

I realise that I could have 2 sections - one with notes and one with the
chords and assign them each to a different staff ... but that does not
really work for me because the chords and the notes are all one (i.e. all
played by the same guitar), so when I write it down I write it in one flow.
To separate them out would be really difficult and artificial.

Like I say, this way of playing on solo guitar is pretty common, so I am
sure it is somewhere in the manual.

Thanks,

Ian