Re: Problems with LilyJAZZ.ily

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Problems with LilyJAZZ.ily
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 00:11:40 +0100

2013/11/24 Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:
> 2013/10/9 Urs Liska <address@hidden>
>> I followed this thread only loosely.
>> As long as we can't directly include LilyJAZZ into LilyPond I suggest
>> making it available (and improvable) here:
>> https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/LilyJAZZ
>> I just created a folder where all related stuff can be placed.
>> So I would suggest that once you have sorted everything out someone adds
>> the files there, maybe also writes an introduction in the README.md file
>> (which will be automatically displayed when viewing the folder).
>
> Hi Urs
>
> I see that the new link is:
> https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/custom-music-fonts/LilyJAZZ
>
> but it's empty. What is preventing from having the last version of LilyJAZZ
> there? Maybe some copyright issue?

No, it's not quite about copyright.
I cannot speak for Urs, but as we're both maintaining this repository,
i'll say how the situation looks from my point of view:
- i'm not quite sure where to find the latest version of LilyJAZZ and
whether there are any knows issues that should be documented.  Of
course it's just a matter of reading archive emails, but there's quite
a lot of them and i don't have much time...
- together with Urs we focused on finishing Fried project and writing
post series about it on the blog
(http://lilypondblog.org/category/fried-songs/) and this took much of
our time,
- some people expressed concerns about creating a separate repository
with lilypond stuff like openlilylib/snippets (they said that it's
diluting our resources and manpower), so i didn't want to push it lest
that someone will think that i'm trying to hijack developers or
something.

> I  think that such a repository is a great idea. Could you include also
> bend.ly and bendtest.ly? See this issue
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1196
> Harm adapted it for 2.17.x
> Let me know if I can help somehow

If you'd like to help with getting bend stuff and LilyJAZZ into
openlilylib/snippets that would be absolutely awesome!  We accept pull
requests on github, or you could send us patches.  If you don't feel
comfortable with such workflows, It would be enough if you just told
us what exactly to put there.  In other words, we need:
- the latest version of the stuff to put into the repostory
- up-to-date description, including known issues, TODOs, nonstandard
dependencies etc.  In other words, the description should contain all
important informations about the package (so that one doesn't have to
sift through mailing list archives or tracker issue comments).

Don't get me wrong - i don't expect a 10-page dissertation and full user manual!

I'll gladly help with getting LilyJAZZ into the repository, but i'm
currently not able to lead such effort - someone has to take
responsibility, and i'll support him as much i can.

best,
Janek