Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 14:56:07 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/26/13 6:12 AM, "Jan-Peter Voigt" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> In my former answer to Urs' post, I talked about the engraver I
>>use. Here's the idea behind it again:
>>- I have my music stored, to recall it when I actually engrave it.
>>- I want to be able to say: Modify item x in measure n on moment m with
>>modification (override) d
>
> I think the proposed facility is the kind of thing that is needed.

Well, the problem is that having the computer juggle with this kind of
information requires a computer-readable format, and basically
non-linear operations beyond the scope of an editor.

That leads to storage formats like MusicXML and editing environments
like Denemo that don't make it the user's job to fiddle with syntax.

At the very least, it becomes unfeasible to use unspecialized text
editors (one could let Emacs do a _lot_ with specialized interfaces and
code, but it would bind continued work on such conglomerate source files
to Emacs _with_ the respective modes) for such a work style, creating
additional dependencies for solving standard editing tasks.

--
David Kastrup