Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:31:42 +0100

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> I think that you personally are quite right to focus your efforts on
> automation, but it doesn't mean that the efforts to build friendly
> tweaking tools are a waste of time or resources ill-spent.

The problem is not with the friendly tweaking tools but with the tweaks.
If you put 1000 tweaks into some music document (and Janek somewhat
proudly stated putting that amount in in a recent project of his), the
document is for all practical considerations locked to a particular
paper format and a particular LilyPond version.  You might as well
archive the PDF file rather than the LilyPond source, since the LilyPond
source will become unusable much faster.

Serious tweaking locks down the document almost as much as
postprocessing with InkScape.  It's a point of no return, and one that
marks the point where having the source code available loses a number of
its advantages.

The number we want to be talking about is maybe a tweak every few pages.
A friendly tweaking tool is still nice for that, but it's not as
important than when you are doing a hundred tweaks per page.

But if we are talking about a hundred tweaks per page, it is extremely
unlikely that those tweaks are _not_ dealing with systematic problems,
and dealing with systematic problems is something that the computer does
with a lot less effort and boredom and tie-in than a human in the long
run.

--
David Kastrup