Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:18:37 +0100

Am 26.11.2013 17:16, schrieb Carl Sorensen:

On 11/26/13 6:45 AM, "Urs Liska" <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 26.11.2013 14:41, schrieb Carl Sorensen:
It's more complex than having a single file that can be correctly
processed by lilypond, but it's doable with today's tools.
Do you have actual experience how this setup behaves when you have to
update the content?
Having the branches like you do seems obvious to me. But does that mean
that once I have to update the content (e.g. apply corrections) I will
rebase the different 'layout' branches and check if everything is still
ok?
Yes.  Every time the content branch is updated, the layout branches are
rebased.

This isn't as big a problem as it could be because I don't get to the
tweaks until the content is reasonably settled.

The more complex issue (which is probably unnecessary) is that I actually
have two branches for each layout.  One keeps the full history of commits;
the other is squashed to have only a single commit of difference from
layout.  I know it's not necessary, but I find it convenient to be able to
see all of the layout tweaks in a single commit on a git tree viewer.

Thanks,

Carl

You could keep the full history as a tag so it's slightly more hidden for daily work.
But this will probably result in more hassle when rebasing.

Urs