Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Discussion: automatic engraving and single-source publishing
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:40:51 +0100

2013/11/26 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
> When finishing a LilyPond score to publication quality there is quite a lot
> of tweaking involved - as you can see from Janek's recent posts on
> lilypondblog.org. And this tweaking makes the engraving very specific,
> actually it's only valid for a specific page layout and even a specific
> LilyPond version.

Fortunately my recent improvements to \shape (in particular polar
coordinates) should make slur tweaks much less specific.

2013/11/26 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Of course, that is sobering: if it takes more time to get from
> LilyPond's 95% initial typesetting quality to the 99% quality one wants
> for publishing than it takes for some WYSIWYG's initial 80%, then we
> have a problem.

I'd say that the effort is similar in both cases.  This is generally
what i had in mind when i wrote this post:
http://lilypondblog.org/2013/08/is-lilypond-good-enough-followup-with-graphs/

> For that reason, I consider much of the time spent on tweaking
> and tweaking tools a waste of lifetime better spent on trying to get the
> automatisms right.  Of course, that option is harder and requires
> different resources.  But it only needs to be done once.

Well, the most important problem is that usually you have a deadline
for finishing a project, and improving LilyPond takes two or more
orders of magnitude longer than tweaking - even _if you have_ the
skills necessary for improving LilyPond...

Janek