Re: Consistency of engraving of hairpin

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Consistency of engraving of hairpin
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 17:05:55 +1100

On 28/11/13 14:45, Keith OHara wrote:
Nick Payne <nick.payne <at> internode.on.net> writes:

See below. In bar 1, where the starting point of the hairpin in the top
voice is a rest, the hairpin starts at a point midway between that rest
and the following note. If the hairpin starts on a note, or if the
hairpin is move to another voice consisting of only spacer rests, then
the behaviour is different.

Apparently hairpins are expected to *end* differently on notes versus
rests, and it seems the fix for that issue
   <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=154>
also changed where the hairpins begin.

Presumably you expect the hairpins to begin on the left edge, whether
there is a rest or not.

Well yes - I actually want the hairpin to start at that point, and the note values in the lower voice don't easily allow the hairpin to be attached there. In guitar music, notation set out like this, where a rest is notated in the upper voice where there is a note in the lower voice, is quite common, and is more a notational convention rather than an indication that one should actually damp the string at that point. As an example, I've attached a scan of the first couple of bars of Stanley Yates' transcription of the prelude to BWV1007, which is set out in this manner.

Nick