Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 22:10:23 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> The only way that i see in which David influences development is that
> he doesn't allow bad code during reviews, and it's hard to write good
> code when there's a lot of bad code and architectural problems already
> in the codebase (at least that's how the situation looks for me).

More favorable to me than it looks to me.  I don't really have the time
and energy for thorough reviews.  And there is a dearth of reviews going
on, and there is a dearth of expertise.  When we want to get a stable
release out, there is some code that reeks of being a troublemaker, so
my reviews end up more similar to an allergic reaction than a
well-reasoned analysis.

I cannot always prove that some code is going to cause problems.  But
that's not the point.  Inscrutable code is a vector for bugs to get in
under cover.  And it is a problem in itself.  And it does not
particularly help that LilyPond is already full of it.

>> In my opinion, it would benefit LilyPond, and David too, if there
>> were more skilled volunteer developers working on the project.
>
> Well, that's obvious.  I was thinking about this myself, and i'm doing
> the only thing that i can do: becoming skilled myself...

Which we need to become easier...

--
David Kastrup