Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 12:18:34 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Kieren MacMillan writes:
>
>> (so that users *never* have to see Lilypond “code”); or
>
> and this is what I don't understand.
>
> My idea is exactly the opposite: to show people the corresponding text
> input also,

"also"

> so that they have a very easy way to learn it and may at their
> convenience choose to change their primary focus of input to text
> input or GUI, depending on the situation at hand.  I hear this as the
> biggest complaint against GUI based text processors, many people still
> long for the days of Word Perfect with it's "underwater screen".

How many passionate snorklers and divers do you know who would want to
actually _live_ underwater, abandoning the surface altogether?

> However, show them LaTeX (or even Lyx) and they run.  As I said, I
> have ideas but do not quite understand how people choose to use
> computers.

The most-sold keyboards are some Casio or whatever with blinkenlights
and automatic rhythms and learning software and so ever, and the
majority of those never gets to see much more action than blink and let
the preprogrammed stuff run off.

There are more CD players sold than music instruments.  People don't
want to be faced with manual intervention for their music every quaver
but rather every hour or so.

Why would I use a computer if I still have to think myself?

At some point of time, you have to stop worrying about pissing off the
people who don't like this kind of manual access.  You'll not reach them
anyway.  What we do have to worry about is pissing off those who'd
actually _like_ this approach but have LilyPond keep getting in their
way.

--
David Kastrup