Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 15:03:15 +0100

On 01/12/13 14:56, immanuel litzroth wrote:
Here's a nice example.

That's almost certainly someone writing to full score (which has particular spacing properties) and auto-exporting to parts without ever actually looking at them. Surprise to surprise, the horizontal spacing issues are different in an individual part than in a full score, particularly if (as in this case) the part is _all_ chords with no notes to space things out.

(Although why they don't in that case put in a cue melody line, I can't imagine. Makes no sense to me.)

I would imagine these pieces are meant to be performed by ad-hoc ensembles which are not necessarily consistent in instrumentation. So probably what happens is, Random Engraver takes all the possible instrument choices, throws them into one giant full score, gets it looking sort of all right there, and then exports the parts without a second thought. It's a recipe for disaster.

This is not really a fault of Sibelius -- similar problems can happen with Lilypond if you proofread full score but not individual parts. (For example, imagine a hairpin that's spread over quite a wide horizontal space in the score, but a fairly narrow space in the individual part: it may need a custom tweak to look right in the second case.)