Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 18:58:08 +0100

Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 1 Dec 2013, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>
>> I am looking forward to examining Denemo, once my current project
>> load diminishes to the point where “free time” is a reality.
>
> Denemo is mentioned several times in this thread.
>
> I have installed and tried Denemo several times recently and in the
> past, but never managed to make it make life with LilyPond easier for
> me.

I think the idea was to make life _without_ LilyPond prettier by
outsourcing the real work to LilyPond behind your back.

> I guess that if you are used to writing Lilypond Code by hand, using
> Frescobaldi, or another editor, there is not much benefit in using
> Denemo.

It's a different workflow.  There is LyX which people use in order to
avoid touching LaTeX.  It works for casual users, but LyX powerusers at
some point of time need more knowledge to get LyX to do what they need
than if they just used LaTeX directly.  Some move on then.

The involved principles seem related with Denemo/LilyPond, but I have no
idea how much LilyPond knowledge can be employed from within Denemo, and
where the sweet spots are beyond which people get annoyed enough to move
to direct LilyPond input.

For some, the mixture might be just what they want.

> Which leads to my question: Denemo seems to be a powerful and
> feature-rich tool, which is continuously improved, but how many people
> do actually use it for real-life music engraving projects?

No idea about that.

<URL:http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=denemo>
<URL:http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=lilypond>

Looks like a quarter of LilyPond users has Denemo installed.  Or
something.

--
David Kastrup