Re: beginner problem

From: Siena
Subject: Re: beginner problem
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 02:18:14 +0000 (UTC)

SoundsFromSound <soundsfromsound <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Siena wrote
> > Hi all - I just downloaded LilyPond, ran the test which worked fine, and
> > now
> > I'm trying to follow the tutorial, and ran into a problem right off at the
> > command line section.  When I open LilyPond, a command prompt box opens,
> > which is I assume where I'm supposed to type the command "lilypond
> > test.ly"
> > to compile.
> >
> > Here's the problem: I can't type in the command prompt box.  No matter
> > what
> > I do, nothing shows up when I type.  Am I making a really dumb mistake, or
> > has something gone wrong with installation?  I'm on Windows 7, if that
> > helps, and searching the archives of this list makes me think I should
> > maybe
> > have something called cygwin installed, and I don't seem to, so maybe
> > that's
> > the problem, but those messages were also from a long time ago.
> >
> > Any ideas would be very appreciated...
> >
> > Siena

> Hi Siena,
>
> Welcome to the LilyPond community!
>
> Hmm...sorry you're having a problem with Windows 7 and LP.
>
> You don't "need" to type into that CMD window at all, you can use LilyPad
> (the window/example file that loads on startup). Do you see that?
>
> You can open a non-LilyPond Windows7 CMD [start menu --> cmd] window and use
> LilyPond commands there if you'd like; did you add or change anything in
> Environment Variables yet?
>
> We'll make sure you get up and running soon, stick with it! :)
>
> Ben
>
> -----
> composer | sound designer
> LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond
> --

Thanks so much for the quick reply!  I did figure out that it works just
fine if I drag the file onto the LilyPad icon, so maybe it doesn't matter.
I was just trying to follow the directions in the tutorial, which said to
compile by typing at the command prompt (here's the instructions:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/command_002dline)

But maybe I can just skip that step, as long as it won't matter later on.

I tried fooling around with the Windows command prompt, which I can type in
just fine, but I don't know enough about DOS commands to get it to work.  I
haven't heard of Environment Variables, so hopefully I haven't changed
anything about them yet!

Thanks,
Siena