Re: beginner problem

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: beginner problem
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 19:46:46 -0700

On 12/01/2013 06:51 PM, Siena wrote:
Hi all - I just downloaded LilyPond, ran the test which worked fine, and now
I'm trying to follow the tutorial, and ran into a problem right off at the
command line section.  When I open LilyPond, a command prompt box opens,
which is I assume where I'm supposed to type the command "lilypond test.ly"
to compile.

Here's the problem: I can't type in the command prompt box.  No matter what
I do, nothing shows up when I type.  Am I making a really dumb mistake, or
has something gone wrong with installation?  I'm on Windows 7, if that
helps, and searching the archives of this list makes me think I should maybe
have something called cygwin installed, and I don't seem to, so maybe that's
the problem, but those messages were also from a long time ago.

Any ideas would be very appreciated...

Siena

Hello, Siena
Since test.ly compiles under drag and drop, your installation should be good to go, so you might be well served by adding a special purpose lilypond editor. Even though I was playing with computers and command lines since the 60's, I *strongly* recommend newcomers to have a look at programs such as Frescobaldi, which makes text-mode entry of LilyPond really simple, then generates the graphic layout, or Denemo, which uses a more graphic mode of entry by placing notes on a staff and showing the resulting lilypond code. My personal favourite is Frescobaldi, but either one will take you off the command line and into the reason you are exploring LilyPond: engraving beautiful music, and the developers of each are frequent readers and posters on the lilypond lists.

As Ben has said: welcome to the community! You're doing The Right Thing working through the Learning Manual (always my second recommendation!), and the lilypond-user list is a great resource as well.

The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.
 - Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel laureate (1879-1955)