Re: Another time model (related to the usability thread)

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Another time model (related to the usability thread)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 23:15:56 +0600

Am 2013-12-02 um 20:56 schrieb James Harkins <address@hidden>:

> Now let's say that we don't live in a perfect world and I didn't write
> everything in perfect form on paper before engraving. Then I decide that one
> 2/4 bar should actually be 3/4. So now I have to change s2 to s2. in the
> global variable AND I have to change some representation of time (whether a
> literal R or a scheme function invocation) in EVERY part. These are likely to
> be in separate include files, making it a time-consuming and fragile
> operation (leaving aside the inevitable arithmetic errors that result when
> counting beats over frequent meter changes).

I have similar problems if I try to get „just the song“ from a sample that’s
intended for e.g. piano: Ok, I don’t need that prelude, and the changes in this
repetition’s alternate don’t concern the vocals, so do it without alternate …
And then I see too late I need the alternative anyway, but from a different
measure on, and afterwards I want that prelude back. So I need to change at
least vocals and chords synchronously, if there aren’t more voices.

But I can’t imagine a way to enhance this situation with LilyPond’s text
approach, as much as I like it otherwise. Maybe there’s a chance with
Frescobaldi in the future.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle