Re: improving LilyPond useability

From: Phil Burfitt
Subject: Re: improving LilyPond useability
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 18:14:52 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Renato" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 4:49 PM

I mean, lilypond is text-editor + command-line by design

Of course, but what it the point of invoking a command prompt that _doesn't work_ when clicking on the lilypond icon (the view from a windows machine), and popping-up lilypad which will possibly confuse the user who has just downloaded a program called lilypond?

you don't really get around these programs without reading docs
(and you shouldn't try to make it easy).

I disagree with "you shouldn't try to make it easy".

Wouldn't it be far better after installing lilypond, to present the user with a cut down tutorial and usage instructions in a read-me file, and two desktop icons/shortcuts...one for this read-me file, and the other for invoking lilypond without arguments, which would then throw out a usage message?

Phil.