Re: improving LilyPond useability

From: Phil Burfitt
Subject: Re: improving LilyPond useability
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 23:13:07 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 7:11 PM

Wouldn't it be far better after installing lilypond, to present the
user with a cut down tutorial and usage instructions in a read-me
file, and two desktop icons/shortcuts...one for this read-me file, and
the other for invoking lilypond without arguments, which would then
throw out a usage message?

Well, I have no idea.  I don't use "user-friendly" operating systems.

:)

But I assume you _do_ want a "user-friendly" lilypond.

I was reminded of my own initial surprise on downloading and running lilypond for the first time some years back, by the following email earlier today...

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-12/msg00061.html

Given that the vast majority of computer users are on windows machines (for better or worse), I wonder just how many new users (and therefore potential contributers) confronted with this situation, have _not_ sought help, and have just given up.

Phil.