Re: improving LilyPond useability

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: improving LilyPond useability
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 18:21:51 -0500

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Phil Burfitt <address@hidden> wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 7:11 PM

Wouldn't it be far better after installing lilypond, to present the
user with a cut down tutorial and usage instructions in a read-me
file, and two desktop icons/shortcuts...one for this read-me file, and
the other for invoking lilypond without arguments, which would then
throw out a usage message?

Given that the vast majority of computer users are on windows machines (for better or worse), I wonder just how many new users (and therefore potential contributers) confronted with this situation, have _not_ sought help, and have just given up.

Phil.

The thing that has always confused me on LP is that when I install it on a Mac, I get a LilyPond app with an icon that I can click on and open up a LP editor with built-in compiler (at least, this is what the user experiences). In Windows, I don't get the same thing.

I think the "Lilypond" vs. "Lilypad" is a user expectation issue. If, as a Windows user, I install Lilypond, I want to open a program called "Lilypond," and I want it to be called "Lilypond." Just like if I go to a website, I'd like the base URL to remain whatever I typed in unless there's a good reason for it.

Carl P.