Re: Other programming languages & LilyPond

From: Curt
Subject: Re: Other programming languages & LilyPond
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 00:35:05 -0800

On Dec 2, 2013, at 3:07 PM, SoundsFromSound <address@hidden> wrote:

> Urs Liska wrote
>> Am 02.12.2013 23:34, schrieb Curt:
>>> I've written perl scripts that generate lilypond snippets to include in
>>> Anki decks for self-study of jazz theory.  There's all kinds of crazy
>>> programming people can do with Lilypond.
>>>
>>> Curt
>>
>> How are Anki decks/cards stored, can they be somehow be edited in a
>> collaborative effort?
>> I think this could also be a nice addition to the Learning Manual (or
>> independently).
>>
>> Urs
>>

> Curt,
> I'm also interested in hearing more about Anki and your scripts!

Sure -

Usually what I do is I write a perl script to run through several combinations
of music theory concepts.  The script then generates the tiny lilypond
snippet for that concept.  It will then open a more general lilypond template,
and substitute that snippet in to the appropriate place.  The lilypond is then
rendered to a small pdf file.  I also have other utilities to generate other
assets, like a small midi2mp3 script.

Through a combination of more scripts and shell commands, the assets
are bundled together with a CSV file (a row for each combination) that
points to the appropriate media.

Collaboratively creating lilypond anki decks could be clunky.  You'd probably
be collaboratively editing the generating scripts themselves, and then be
building the decks from that, and then reimporting on top of your already
existing deck, which could be problematic.

So far I've created decks for:

        - Guitar Fretboard training: the "question" draws a fretboard
                with a circle and a question mark at the relevant note
                position, the "answer" replaces the question mark with
                the note name and plays the pitch.  I want to expand
                it to include accidentals.
        - Jazz Closed Position Comping: this has questions like
                "where is the appropriate place to play dm7b5?" and
                then shows the notation and plays the chord (first
                inversion surrounding middle-C).  Closed root
                position only, so it's not very useful.  I'm hoping to
                write more decks for more useful comping styles.
        - Jazz Astronomy, Major: this has questions like what
                is the best scale to play against F7 in A major?
                Answer: it's a flat-2 of V, so play C melodic minor
                starting on F.  Several styles of cards that play pitches
                and scales and show notation and chord symbols.
                This deck has over 2500 cards, and I want to supplement
                it with minor keys.

I've had multiple requests to make the decks available, and it
really is on my list - I just need to clean some things up first.  :)

Curt