Re: improving LilyPond useability

From: Phil Burfitt
Subject: Re: improving LilyPond useability
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 10:01:29 -0000

From: "Renato" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 11:54 PM

"Phil Burfitt" <address@hidden> wrote:

>you don't really get around these programs without reading docs
>(and you shouldn't try to make it easy).

I disagree with "you shouldn't try to make it easy".

what I meant was "you shouldn't try to make it easy to get around
fiddling with the program without reading the docs", i.e. you shouldn't
try to encourage not reading the docs

Ok, I see what you mean. However I think a "carrot" is far better than a "stick". Give the new user plenty to play with straight off. A read-me file with usage instructions, a mini tutorial and well chosen examples beyond just \relative c' { c d e f g a b c } will quickly wet their appetite. They'll soon be seeking out the docs with enthusiasm, and not begrudgingly.

Phil.

renato