Re: Denemo-feedback

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Denemo-feedback
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 17:37:12 +0100

Hi Richard,

sorry for the old version. I now installed Denemo 1.1.0 from the
website. It can't use lilypond with it for some reason (it crashes when
I want to print) but I can look around and compare.

Many things have improved a lot: The sound plays nicely, the buttons
show no artefacts, the menus are readable.
I like the feature that one can click on the key signature to increase
the sharps or flats.

The look is still similar to Windows 95. On the website I saw something
gnome-like but not in my installed version. Is that available?

For my taste, there are too much buttons with a similar meaning. E.g.
all the slur and bracket buttons could be simplified as Frescobaldi
does: the slur spans the selected range of notes. Also, the buttons to
insert a note and change the current note to a different duration
duplicate things. Wouldn't it make sense to merge them (two different
modes or a shift+click for changing). It would also be convenient to
move the current note up or down with the up/down key (it moves only the
cursor).

I am still confused by the cursors, one | marking the point in time and
a square marking the current note/pitch. It is sometimes green,
sometimes blue.

It is not clear to me how a new measure is started. At the beginning it
worked (like in LP) automatically but later I had measures with more
than 4 beats (coloured in read) and the automatic bar line was missing.

The menus are very full which is probably a result of putting everything
in that is possible (which is good to have). But an intelligent
reduction would be needed (imho). E.g. for slurs you have to search a
while: Notes/Rests > Markings > Slurs > Begin slur

The menues are difficult to browser, because the tooltip/hint is often
very large and covers the menu.

What is the reason for not chosing LP shortcuts for input:
(=start slur, )=end it, 8=eigth note, r=rest etc. It would train people
a bit to this well designed representation.
, works to go down one octave, but ' does not go up.

The dot button and the accidental buttons as well as key signatures and
clefs work nicely.

I am still not convinced but it is definitely in a better state and
there were many improvements.

Cheers,
Joram