Re: Denemo-feedback

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Denemo-feedback
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:13:20 +0000

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 19:57 +0100, Noeck wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> >>  It can't use lilypond with it for some reason (it crashes
> > I trust you don't mean that Denemo itself crashes? Just that LilyPond
>
> No Denemo does not crash. But the Print View tells me: INVALID! Lilypond
> can not typeset this score.

In this case open the View->Lilypond window and right click and  choose
"Print from visible LilyPond text", the start of the error will be
highlighted in red, and the error message from LilyPond will appear in
the LilyPond errors pane. You can move the cursor about in that pane and
using the arrow keys and it should find the place in the Denemo score
where something nasty has been introduced. If in doubt, please send me
the file to look at.

> > In the Edit->Preferences->Externals tab you can set the path to
> > lilypond. I believe I have seen this failure to find LilyPond too when
> > testing the GNU/Linux binary, I don't know what that is due to.
>
> The lilypond path was set correctly in the preferences. In fact, it just
> tells me that it fails and it does not show the preview. But I can
> export a pdf. So LP is found somehow.
>
> >> The look is still similar to Windows 95. On the website I saw something
> >> gnome-like but not in my installed version. Is that available?
> >
> > I don't understand this comment - what is the link?
>
> http://www.denemo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/display7.png
>
> My version looks more like this:
> http://www.denemo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/display3.png

These old screen shots were perhaps made with different window managers.
All that sort of stuff is dependent on the "theme" I think. I never pay
attention to it myself, it is (AFAIK) not specific to Denemo.

> >> For my taste, there are too much buttons
> >
> > By "buttons" are you referring to those in palettes? - yes they are
> > nearly all displayed at first. But if you close them down or hide
> > individual buttons (right click) they will not come back.
>
> That's what I mean. They come back each time I start the program.

I think you must have used Ctrl-C to quit the program, in which case the
palette changes are not saved.

> > ' should be octave up, do you have a non-qwerty keyboard?
> I have a German keyboard layout which means the รค is my ' ;) that works.

Did you have to execute "Save Command Set" to make the change permanent?
It should ask you as you quit...

This is off-topic for the LilyPond list, so I will continue in private,
but it is still very useful for me to see how the program appears to
newcomers.

Richard