Re: ly:context-mod? list to string

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ly:context-mod? list to string
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:40:15 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Ah, I'd already grepped the git repo in the past, but didn't see it as
> a standard means when looking up usage information. Thanks.

Well, in doubt the documentation string is relevant, but you have to
find it first.  "git grep" has the main advantage of being really fast.

When I know some half-answer, I usually git-grep with parts of it, see
where it can be found in the documentation, look for some context there,
feed it into a web search engine and cite the result in answers.

Alternatively, I use C-h i in Emacs and then the index for LilyPond's
documentation (which is rather good, and Emacs searches the LilyPond
doc's and follows index entries with autocompletion again basically
instantaneously).  And then I pick context, search in the HTML and so
on.

It's perhaps a bit of a letdown that a flat git-grep at the start often
leads to results faster than a hierarchical search, but then with
git-grep you know where to go in the hierarchy without having to
backtrack.

--
David Kastrup