Re: Get context in Scheme function (determining current moment)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Get context in Scheme function (determining current moment)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 17:01:22 +0100

Am 04.12.2013 16:39, schrieb David Kastrup:
Again: what are you trying to do?
Probably my reply to your previous answer will have told you in the meantime.

My \annotate function should also store the position in the score (to print that out and to sort by it). So when I use the function in the input file it should store location elements and current measure and measure position in several variables.

The main goal of that is to make it possible to annotate a score with different types of comments (general annotation, todo, technical question, musical question, critical note etc.). When compiling the score it will (among other things) output one or several files (don't know yet) with sorted list(s) of (clickable) annotations. That way I'll have a list of things that still have to be done. Reading the list I can simply click on an item and go to the input file.

Once that's reasonably stable I intend to write a LaTeX package that can use the output of \annotate (at least the critical notes) and insert them as a critical report in a LaTeX file. (Of course it won't be trivial to make that generally useful, but I think it's possible).

This way one will be able to edit a critical report directly in the musical score. I found proof-reading of our Fried songs edition _very_ tedious. I had repeatedly (and with repeatedly I mean 7 pages of three-column scriptsize revision entries) to
- compare original edition with new engraving
- if there was a difference: check if there is an entry for that
- if not: decide if it's an error in our score or if I have to add an entry.
always switching between paper print, LilyPond edition and files and the LaTeX file with the report.

With that \annotate framework I could immediately see if there's an entry - in the .ly file - and add or edit it.

Also, while preparing the edition I could add an annotation at any time when I notice a questionable item. And when I'm decided about the issue I can change the annotation type from "question" to "critical-note" to make it available for the official report.

Surely a long way to go (particulary if I'm still having to poke around so much with Scheme basics), but hopefully very rewarding. If it works out it will be a big selling point towards professional academics.

Best
Urs