Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 20:56:39 +0100

This editor in Windows is deterrent. When I started, it took several
weeks after I gave LP a second try. The first thing I then did, was
changing the default-opening-program to the standard windows notepad
editor, because the fonts an the look of this LP editor window was so
ugly. An I am glad that I came back to LP in the end.

IMHO users should always be pointed to Frescobaldi and install it. Could
Lilypond be included in the Frescobaldi download?

For an average user, Lilypond behaves quite strange:
- Doubleclick does not open a window
- Drag and drop for compiling (what is "compiling" anyway?)
- Editor window is not looking nice
- black window opens shortly (users did already complain about the
viruses in LP because they interpreted the command line window as such)

What could be expected of a windows program:
- installing one program that can be executed right a way
- main window opens from desktop or system menu short cut
- what is needed happens in this window

In that sense Frescobaldi is the program and it just uses LP in the
back. Should we then promote Frescobaldi as music engraving program
instead of LP? It would be strange as the engraving is done by LP, but
from the user’s perspective Frescobaldi is the tool he works with.
These names and startup issues can be quite confusing for new users.

Cheers,
Joram