Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 22:05:11 -0500

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Tim McNamara <address@hidden> wrote:

On Dec 4, 2013, at 6:18 PM, Phil Burfitt <address@hidden> wrote:
> I also think lilypond's website is terrible. It looks like something out of the eighties knocked up on a dos machine. By comparison, take a look at the home pages of musescore, finale and sibelius.

All things considered, I'd rather focus Lilypond's meager resources to software that creates beautifully engraved sheet music.  The printed output of Lilypond is vastly superior (and more readable by musicians) than MuseScore, Finale or Sibelius.  I'm always amazed at how crappy Finale output looks, in particular.

If you think that Lilypond's web page needs a facelift, then volunteer to roll up your sleeves and help change it by writing text blocks, creating better HTML, creating better graphics, etc.  There is no well-funded corporation behind Lilypond, just a bunch of dedicated and amazingly talented volunteer programmers.

Where do I sign up and what do I need to know about the way the current site works? I cannot write a single line of C++, my Scheme skills are meager at best (limited mostly to taking existing code and tweaking parameters), and I've only looked into MetaFont enough to send a patch to Janek to review to refine the shape note parameters to deal with unsightly MI and SO noteheads. (speaking of which, Janek... :) ). But I can do web development.

Carl P.