Re: Schikkers List

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Schikkers List
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 13:52:17 +0100

David Kastrup writes:

>> Why enable editing the text input as long as it's next to useless
>> because it's slow and buggy?  Your request is noted, though.
>
> "Next to useless" is O(1) of useful.  Bugs get fewer and machines
> faster.  Word for Windows became a success story ultimately.

What I mean is that I have some code for this.  However, I like to find
a short path to any true useful application of Schikkers List and go
that path first.  After dabbling a bit with text input, I decided to
work on numerous usability problems, implement slurs, ties, tweaks,
audio player and whatnot

    5878ea3 Paper: make size:line 840 mm wide.  Avoids overflowing to second
system.
    f21f45d Update music, page tests.
    b88c09a system.test: new file.  Test and fix 840mm wide paper.
    953f6e7 <page>(set): Rename from add, refactor.
    8028ff5 <page>(add-): Refactor.
    19d7311 page.test: Add overflow test.
    feb2ddf page.test: Add.
    d9613fb Web: Cut&pasto.  Fixes rest checkbox.
    35e47d1 Web: use init-form rather than init-value.  Fixes new document
scrolling.
    5b05b09 schikkers.js: Call expose on new-document.  Fixes score display.
    4f65149 Update HACKING info.
    c5c709f Invalidate: modified's system or cursor's (was: modified or last).
    48adff1 Update guile-gnome patchset.
    6db5643 <music-layout>(invalidate): Invalidate all upon clef, key, time
change.
    45084a6 <page>(add-): Remove dummy stop system iso replace.  Fixes overfull
pages.
    ca2b360 Add scroll wheel support and functionality.
    e38f83e Remove stale comments.
    7627544 Web: more compact logging.
    56b4d10 Web: use actual value for expose, keep cursor visible.  Fixes #21.
    cd6131c Heuristics to disallow second line/page when --size=line.
[disabled]
    374eebd Web: freehand tests.
    7a8f57c Web: New ui layout: score left, editor right, use page-count.
Fixes #20.
    5d8b2cb Resize hack for jquery-ui.
    bccdcf7 Gnome: make button press aware of dragging.
    710de50 Update BUGS.
    14fdae0 Update LilyPond patches.
    1599954 Gnome: draw selection upon dragging.
    399f8db Gnome: add drag handlers for background.
    d953be3 <gnome-music-canvas>(path): flip-y points.  Fixes tie display.
    924dde1 Add ties.
    7ae881f Web: disable obnoxious alerts, enable IE audio fallback.
    b5e0c28 Web: reluctantly add legacy MP3s for Apple users.  Does that help
them -- I guess--, or does keep them ignorant about their enslavement where
they could have been awakened?
    ac65ec1 Web: bugfix for reading mp3.
    b31cec5 <rhythmic-event>(re-tag!): New function: include articulations.
Fixes #14, #15.
    7f5b3d8 Web: duration name nits.
    3f8c214 Update BUGS.
    91982ea Web: update note/rest image on rest checkbox.
    c2af4cd [Gnome]: Also update dotted button, image and en/disable.
    9df82eb Bugfix: don't add duration-0 rests.
    2ea6d44 [Gnome]: update image/disable duration/rest buttons.
    e421c39 Update BUGS, NEWS.
    4b9e7bc Disallow duration changes that shift music.
    7c15919 Nit: no newline after \relative.
    aae7dea Bugfix: ly-default clef.
    7af9481 Duration-edit: Web: disable duration radios longer than free space.
    fafc790 <music>(get-neighbor-note-or-rest): Rename from (get-neighbor-note)
and move.
    42640d0 <duration>(duration->number): Rename from (duration).  Remove
rationalize.
    d2648a4 Omit unnecessary ly of \context Voice=one.
    60c173b Refactor ly-default for clef, key, time.
    da87a9a Omit gratitious ly of default clef.
    2af40be Omit gratitious ly of default key.
    fcae095 Omit gratitious ly of default time, include not-default time style
in ly.
    211555d Usability: Web: use rests on duration buttons in rest mode.
    c1d93c6 Usability: Have up/down keys modify pitch.
    11d5c4f Usability: When rest checked, add rest.
    6f31552 Usability: Use radio buttons for duration.
    7e878d1 Web: add simple audio player.
    b02ad22 Web: more focus fixes.
    29d51cd Web: ensure to keep focus, also upon button press.  Fixes scrolling.
    d446307 Web[ie]: remove ugly border around image.
    bdacd75 Web: add audio control.  Muted by default.
    6894ab6 Web: test slider.
    02a379c Web: audio: play note on hover/enter.
    1ddee7d Add slur.
    395564f Audio test 3.
    a1e3859 Audio update.
    a583bc6 WIP: web audio test.
    e7a1312 Oops, remove alert.
    0c49eb6 Oops, reset start-music.
    f4c9c60 Web: Enable dragging control points.
    57ff96b Web: only slur-mouseout if outside of BBox.  Enables clicking
control points.
    a63788c Web: Show a slur's control points when hovering.
    e07114d Add ly for slur with test.
    5f0df05 Bind () to slur.
    9feff1b Web: weird FF20 compatibility for checkbox.checked === false means
checked?
    18c942d Web: fixes for updating rest checkbox.
    885135d Web: Add slur.
    8e3b41b Web: add range selection.
    41d3bfe Web: Update Raphael.  Enables range selection.
    4f37401 Fix support for 2/2 and 4/4.  Thanks Björk!
    1de386a Add Dynamics.
    c578287 Web: set toolbar button state to match cursor.
    64d70d3 Thinko: reset tweaks upon clone.
    799b66f <music>: Base relative at f'.  Fixes ly-octave surprises.  Thanks
Alea!
    4576111 Web: rename /music-canvas to /score and add extensions on
downloads.  Thanks Björk!
    e4ad9d0 Web: allow inaccurate (wide) dragging when changing pitch.
    ee7e7b7 Usability: only tweak with CTRL, otherwise drag to change pitch.
Thanks Alea!
    702afd5 Crash fixes.  Thanks Alea & Björk!
    7a7f438 Web: more dump and inspect features.
    d7ceb5e Web: don't dump alive checks and use dump-dq.js name.
    fd7e5ab Web: /inspect.html: new page.
    aa65e51 Add user alive.
    8b7a329 Web: restart web server upon USR1.  Allows refreshing without app
loss.
    66bd74d Animate elevator.
    12f8417 Add google analytics.
    c414f64 Add call for feedback and donate.
    6b7cebe Add twitter feedback option to web.
    a7d6ee3 Web: make rests draggable, add extra-offset to articulations and
fingering.
    c6e3f90 Web: add notehead tweak extra-offset by dragging.
    e9ad75f Add missing tie.ly.
    f583670 Put a link up to the lilypond.org demo server.
    9b31508 Thinko.  Fixes demo account removal.
    36d5817 Thinko.  Fixes user=demo usage from lilypond.org
    ca6053a Add app timeout and multiple demo accounts.
    61cb5d4 Oops.  Comment-out debug code.  Fixes access.
    74d7f84 Web: default to ?user=demo.  Add users demo, demo-1..9.
    69904d6 Add edit-cut button and action.  Fixes mousibility.
    2387d2a <misc>(get-host-name): cleanup, only catch host-not-found.
    4f04fa7 Avoid gethostbyaddr. Fixes slooow access from vodafone network.
    231c848 Safe get-host-name.  Fixes mobile test access.
    272b20f Web: add single "test" user for giving short demos.
    ef74b78 Web: disable experimental editor parse/text entry unless using
&debug=.

> I think it would be a big improvement already if
> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2578> was
> implemented.  And probably a starting point anyway.

That's a nice idea; let me think about that.  Possibly Schikkers List
could be made into as a batch backend and typeset the svg and text in
HTML5 to deliver this.

>> Can we do away with choosing the tuning, isn't there a common tuning
>> for guitar that > 90% of guitars use?
>
> Can we do away with the command line, isn't there a common desktop
> environment that >90% of computer users use?

What I meant was: what is required for the a minimal first useful
user experience.  Would a hardcoded tuning do, so that we can
implement a tuning choosing mechanism later?

> Tuning is not necessarily per guitar but rather per piece.

OK.

> It is quite common to have pieces in "lute tuning" (one string a
> semitone off, don't remember which one right now) and also to turn the
> lowest string one note down occasionally.

So I take it that my guess that 90% of all guitar pieces have standard
tuning was too optimistic?

Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl