Re: Schikkers List

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Schikkers List
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:01:28 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Can we do away with choosing the tuning, isn't there a common tuning
>>> for guitar that > 90% of guitars use?
>>
>> Can we do away with the command line, isn't there a common desktop
>> environment that >90% of computer users use?
>
> What I meant was: what is required for the a minimal first useful
> user experience.  Would a hardcoded tuning do, so that we can
> implement a tuning choosing mechanism later?
>
>> Tuning is not necessarily per guitar but rather per piece.
>
> OK.
>
>> It is quite common to have pieces in "lute tuning" (one string a
>> semitone off, don't remember which one right now) and also to turn the
>> lowest string one note down occasionally.
>
> So I take it that my guess that 90% of all guitar pieces have standard
> tuning was too optimistic?

Depends on what you call a "guitar piece".  Chord accompaniment
(strumming guitar) is almost exclusively eadgbe (Dutch names, not
German).  But you don't need LilyPond for that.  Tablature is probably a
bit more than 90% of all pieces.  But an evening with classical guitar
music will often not be fully covered.

Professional Rock/Pop musicians often have a number of guitars on stage
just for saving the time to retune for particular pieces (as a retune
needs time to settle, this may involve more than the tuning time
itself).

--
David Kastrup