Re: improving LilyPond useability

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: improving LilyPond useability
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:29:15 -0700

On 12/05/2013 01:54 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
2013/12/5 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

2013/12/4 Jacques Menu <address@hidden>
My recent experience creating choir scores for the first time, one
of them with difference words a given
stanza in a repeated part (see attachments), makes me think it would
help to have off-the-shelf *commented*
samples of some size and complexity, as a complement to the existing snippets.
Sounds like a good idea.  I could add some real-life score examples of my own.
Where would you place such material?  A new manual, or in an existing one?
Documentation/ly-examples?

I actually have no idea where those end up, I just sometimes change them
when new syntax comes around.
Apparently here: http://lilypond.org/examples.html

Which means that it's not quite the right place for them.  For
starters, examples from http://lilypond.org/examples.html are there
because they look nice, not necessarily because their lily code is
pretty; people are not meant to learn LilyPond from them but rather
get impressed by the output.

There are two possibilities which come to mind:
 - an appendix to LM, which would actually be my *second* choice, or
 - a new "Templates" library, analogous to the Snippets.

Cheers,
Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both
hands.