Re: Images from snippets

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Images from snippets
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:37:10 +0100

Am 05.12.2013 22:28, schrieb Noeck:
Hi,

here is an idea for the snippets library:

For later use*, one could introduce a header entry to get a small image
showing the purpose of the snippet. There one could specify the
coordinates of a part of the example.
Naming suggestions:
snippet-image, snippet-crop, snippet-thumbnail, snippet-icon

Here is an example to show what I mean:
for snippets/notation-snippets/hairpin-with-text
this line could be added to the header:
snippet-icon = 85x85+95+107

Then these lines could produce the corresponding image:
         lilypond -fpng example.ly
         convert -crop 85x85+95+107 example.png example-icon.png

Of course, this could be automated. If the author provided the
coordinates of the interesting part of the examples file, the necessary
information would be in the library.
Potential pitfall: When the the example is changed, the numbers need
adjustment.

If commandline cropping is possible with svg (should be the case), it
might be an even better solution.

What do you think? (Especially Urs and Janek)

I think this is well in line with an idea I have had for some time.
Probably we'll soon be in the situation to have too many snippets to be conveniently used so we should somehow have documentation. I'm thinking about a script that creates Markdown files from the snippets themselves, respectively their headers. Github will then display them as HTML pages automatically.

Adding images to that documentation is surely a good idea.
Could you please add an issue to the repository's tracker? This will reduce the risk of the idea being lost.

Urs