Re: Extending LilyPond with packages

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Extending LilyPond with packages
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 22:54:02 +0100

Hi,

2013/12/5 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> For starters, we could take
>> https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/templates/predefined-instruments
>> and expand it, and add such predefined "instruments" to official
>> LilyPond.  I think it would make "structural" work much easier (esp.
>> for beginners).
>
> We need to figure out how we can provide "style sheets", similar to how
> LaTeX makes it possible to define "document classes" (layout definitions
> and tools)

As for stylesheets, isn't it just a matter of designing custom \layout
blocks that can be \included into scores?  Here's a stub i created:
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/stylesheets

I also think that the "predefined instruments" stuff i linked to can
be a great help in making such stylesheets effective.

> Moving in the direction where this is possible also takes some pressure
> of stable/unstable development and features/fixes: something which comes
> in its own, optionally used file is not disruptive to the core
> stability.

I only hope that this wouldn't become too diverse.  One thing i really
dislike about LaTeX is that there are multiple packages doing one
thing, package conflicts etc.

best,
Janek