Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 23:36:01 +0100

Am 05.12.2013 23:29, schrieb Ryan McClure:
On 12/05/2013 05:20 PM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
The way many Windows installers work is that they present you as a user with a list of components to select to be installed, of which some will be selected (or not) by default. There's no reason not to have Frescobaldi bundled with the installer but deselectable if you don't want it.
What about the option of having other editors such as Denemo as well as an option? I myself prefer Frescobaldi, but I know that a few prefer Denemo. I feel it to be a bit unfair to only have one option bundled with an installer.

I think David's argument is still valid: It's much more straightforward to have IDEs manage installing LilyPond than vice versa.

I think it would be better to change the information on the download page.
Tell new users that the "plain" download is rather for updating an existing installation and that they should better download Frescobaldi or Denemo (with a short characterization of both) because they'll need an editing environment anyway. Denemo already has LilyPond bundled, Frescobaldi can easily be taught to download and install LilyPond on first launch if it doesn't find an installation.

Urs