Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Phil Burfitt
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 12:05:29 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchol" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:36 PM

The way many Windows installers work is that they present you as a user
with a list of components to select to be installed, of which some will be
selected (or not) by default.  There's no reason not to have Frescobaldi
bundled with the installer but deselectable if you don't want it.

+1

What about the option of having other editors such as Denemo as well as an option? I myself prefer Frescobaldi, but I know that a few prefer Denemo. I
feel it to be a bit unfair to only have one option bundled with an
installer.

Frescobaldi is a text editor + previewer. It's simple and intuitive. I've never heard of anyone that doesn't like it, though some may prefer other choices.

Denemo is GUI based notation software. Has a learning curve. Hides lilypond. Many do not like it, myself included (sorry if I offend anyone).

Lilypond _is_ text based. Do you want to hide that or facilitate its use?

If you want to hide it, then you may also consider Musescore and any others that can export to lilypond format.

This is a good idea, but as David already said, it's actually not easy
to implement. :-/
Hey, what about this (just for now): since it's hard to actually
install additional software, we could at least have links to
Frescobaldi/Denemo webpages in Lily's installer, so that the users
could install them themselves.  David, this should be easy to do?

Janek

What exactly is not easy to implement in Joseph Rushton Wakeling's suggestion of an optional frescobaldi install from lilypond's windows installer?

Phil.