Re: LilyPond Website Work (was: A thought on Windows Experience)

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: LilyPond Website Work (was: A thought on Windows Experience)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 10:23:22 -0500

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM, James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:
A side comment, picking up on a comment in the "Windows experience" thread:

I hope the new site will avoid any hooks to Google analytics or other APIs.
I'm behind the Great Firewall of China, and I see frequently how Google
dependencies cause page loading times to balloon, while the browser waits for
blocked connections to time out.

This is one of the rare times when I can complain about that problem *before*
the problem gets built into yet another website :-)

hjh

This is one of a number of targets of what I would like to eventually work through, particularly:

1) No external server dependencies. This includes jQuery, external analytics, web font services, or any such things. Each of these are additional calls that make things take longer. I've mentioned on the previous thread that if the server has the capability, I would, at some point, like to look into an internal analytics system.

2) No extraneous file loads. While there will be a separate CSS file (as there is now), I want to eventually eliminate any image file that does not contribute to content. The first victim of this will be the gradient images used for the header and navigation backgrounds. CSS gradients can be coded for fewer bytes and one less server request, with graceful degradation if CSS3 is not available on a browser.

Regarding #2, this does not necessarily mean "no images." I think we actually need *more* images. However, I think the images that we do have need to be content (examples of music, etc.), not window-dressing.