Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:30:26 +0100

Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Shane Brandes <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > The U.S. has the concept of fair use see 17 U.S.C. § 107
>>
>> But we want LilyPond to be distributable in more than just the U.S.A.
>>

> Indeed. I am not a legal expert by any stretch (I've just read a lot of
> stuff on copyright law, between this project and some other related
> interests of mine). In particular, I would say that anything used should be
> incontrovertibly in the public domain (i.e., the older, the better).

There is not such thing as "incontrovertibly in the public domain" as
various governments are shifting the goal posts around retroactively.
It is a perversion of the idea of copyright as a means of encouraging
the creation of works when copyright extensions are granted after the
death of the author since no extension can make him possibly work harder
on creating new works for the sake of his heirs after he is already
dead.  So any extension announced after the death of an author should
not apply to the works of an author who labored under different
assumptions when creating the work.

--
David Kastrup