Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:11:56 +0100

On 05/12/13 21:18, Janek Warchoł wrote:
as promised, here are engraving comparisons that i hand out to musicians i meet:

What Finale version are you using to generate these examples?

I hate to say this, but from my point of view (as a Lilypond user and enthusiast) I think that rather than favouring Lilypond, this rather supports the contention that in general Finale's output is "good enough". I presume what you have there is untweaked Finale engraving, and many of the issues you identify are very minor or most likely easily fixed.

The only thing that I can see that really irritates and really seems dangerous from a performing perspective is the dot on the dotted 8th notes, whose regular misplacement does create some potentially nasty reading ambiguities.

If you want a real comparison, give two expert users -- one of Finale, one of Lilypond -- the same score and give them an hour to engrave as much as they can, with the goal that every single bar they engrave is perfect. Then compare what they achieve.