Re: hideNotes

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: hideNotes
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 16:31:00 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Noeck" <address@hidden>
To: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 4:21 PM
Subject: hideNotes

Hi,

currently \hideNotes does not hide articulations, slurs, ties etc.
Is that on purpose?

{
 \hideNotes
 a-.\cresc b->\! a?( \parenthesize b) |
 a\< ~ a-1 \tuplet 3/2 {a4 a a\f } a4 \glissando a'
}

I would suggest to add this to \hideNotes in ly/property-init.ly and the
corresponding reverts to \unHideNotes:

 \override AccidentalCautionary.transparent = ##t
 \override Script.transparent = ##t
 \override ParenthesesItem.transparent = ##t
 \override Slur.transparent = ##t
 \override Tie.transparent = ##t
 \override LaissezVibrerTie.transparent = ##t
 \override RepeatTie.transparent = ##t
 \override Glissando.transparent = ##t
 \override TupletBracket.transparent = ##t
 \override TupletNumber.transparent = ##t
 \override Fingering.transparent = ##t

It would also make sense to hide dynamics:
 \override DynamicText.transparent = ##t
 \override DynamicTextSpanner.transparent = ##t
 \override DynamicLineSpanner.transparent = ##t
 \override Hairpin.transparent = ##t

Did I miss something? Clusters probably.
I could not find out how to hide tremolo beams.
Arpeggios can not be hidden, LP crashes with: No Notehead for Appegio

Cheers,
Joram

Whether it's deliberate or not, it's very useful. You can use hidden notes as a starting and ending point for slurs, ties, etc., and thus often overcome limitations with them moving into or out of voices. Not a good idea to change this, IMHO.

--
Phil Holmes