Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:48:42 +0100

On 07/12/13 17:14, Phil Holmes wrote:
I've already said I oppose this, and I'll restate this.

I think it's unfortunate that your opposition consists of just saying "no", rather than trying to work out if there are ways to get what you want _and_ get what other people are suggesting.

For example, your objection is based on the assumption that every time there's a new Lilypond release, you'll have to go to the Lilypond website, download a new installer, and install over the old version, remembering each time to deselect the install components you don't want.

You assume that (for example) it's not possible for the installer to auto-detect your existing implementation and by default select only the installed components to upgrade; or that it's not possible for the Lilypond install to include an upgrade tool which alerts you to the existence of a new release and downloads and installs the updated components for you.

All of this requires somebody to look into how to achieve these things, and to implement them. People shouldn't be discouraged from exploring these possibilities by pre-emptive judgements about what they will come up with.