Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:05:42 +0100

Am 06.12.2013 17:11, schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
On 05/12/13 21:18, Janek Warchoł wrote:
as promised, here are engraving comparisons that i hand out to musicians i meet:

What Finale version are you using to generate these examples?

I hate to say this, but from my point of view (as a Lilypond user and enthusiast) I think that rather than favouring Lilypond, this rather supports the contention that in general Finale's output is "good enough".  I presume what you have there is untweaked Finale engraving, and many of the issues you identify are very minor or most likely easily fixed.

I have to throw in a comparison:
http://lilypond.ursliska.de/uploads/pics/07_02.png
http://lilypond.ursliska.de/uploads/pics/finale2008_one-system.png

These are an excerpt from a copyright piece, but I've got permission to display in the context of a tutorial and of a blog post (they're in my plain text essay on the blog).
I think this is a very good example for the fact that LilyPond often manages to produce legible layout even if it fails. Actually the only thing that's _really_ wrong with this example is the long slur - but that's of the kind I wouldn't expect any automated engraving to manage.
Finale (admittedly 2008 - but LilyPond is 2.13 too IIRC) managed to clash about every conceivable grob in this case.

Urs