Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:18:46 +0100

On 07/12/13 20:05, Urs Liska wrote:
I have to throw in a comparison:
http://lilypond.ursliska.de/uploads/pics/07_02.png
http://lilypond.ursliska.de/uploads/pics/finale2008_one-system.png

These are an excerpt from a copyright piece, but I've got permission to display
in the context of a tutorial and of a blog post (they're in my plain text essay
on the blog).
I think this is a very good example for the fact that LilyPond often manages to
produce legible layout even if it fails. Actually the only thing that's _really_
wrong with this example is the long slur - but that's of the kind I wouldn't
expect any automated engraving to manage.
Finale (admittedly 2008 - but LilyPond is 2.13 too IIRC) managed to clash about
every conceivable grob in this case.

Yes, but you're comparing default behaviour to default behaviour. I think we can all agree that Lilypond almost invariably wins in that comparison.

The reason I proposed a competent-user-vs-competent-user comparison is that a competent user wouldn't leave those clashes in place but would manually tweak them. If those manual tweaks are quick-and-easy to make, then those faults of default behaviour may be considered much less serious.