Re: LilyPond Website Work

From: David Bolton
Subject: Re: LilyPond Website Work
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 13:54:42 -0600

On 12/7/2013 6:39 AM, Urs Liska wrote:

> As can be seen here (one more time):
>
> Am 07.12.2013 08:45, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
>> 2013/12/7 David Bolton <address@hidden>:

>> And by the way, why are you using documentation for versions 2.16 and
>> 2.17 while the file is marked as 2.14? This looks like a bad idea.
>> best, Janek
>
> It may also be a good idea to find a way to visually distinguish
> between the stable and the development sections of website/manual?

Maybe it is helpful to know that I got to the manual page from a web
search.

I realized that I was on the wrong version because of the URL, but there
is no easy way to get to the right version. For example, manually
changing the version number in the URL never seems to work (it gives 404
errors), and there are no links on the page to the equivalent
documentation for other versions.

My recommendations would be:
1. Use a consistent URL for the latest stable version of LilyPond
documentation. That way web searches and other pages across the web link
to the latest version instead of ancient versions of the documentation.

2. On old or unstable documentation include a link to the equivalent
page in the stable version of the documentation.

David