Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: engraving comparisons and other "promotional" materials
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 23:03:16 +0100

On 08/12/13 22:42, Janek Warchoł wrote:
My experience says otherwise (maybe because my choir is not
professional): we continued to sing this moment badly for the next 5
years.

Well, then your complaint is certainly valid! :-)

I have seen it about 10 times already, in scores coming from different
people. I can send you more examples in private.

Question -- were these all or mostly vocal works? I don't remember any similar examples from my own use of Finale, but it's been quite a long while, and of course I was producing instrumental works. I have a feeling the inclusion of lyrics might be affecting the spacing.

Well, if we're speaking of hand-written stuff, then yes.  But as far
as the "engraved" output from notation software, i havent' seen much
worse problems.

I have, and in a published score at that, but I think it was the fault of an earlier version of one of these notation programs, and almost certainly a publisher who didn't know how to use it (and obviously didn't care about quality control).