Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:15:24 +0800

On Monday, December 9, 2013 4:52:08 PM HKT, David Kastrup wrote:
James Harkins <address@hidden> writes:

Carl's two-column approach is pretty much what I had in
mind. Although, he suggests this would be only a slight improvement. I
think it could be more than that. Suppose we introduce the downloads
with a couple of paragraphs across the top:

~~
IMPORTANT: A complete working environment for LilyPond consists of two
components: LilyPond itself, and a music editor. If you have installed
only one of these, then you're not experiencing LilyPond's full power.

That's nonsensical.  You'll be experiencing LilyPond's full power if and
only if you have LilyPond itself installed.

<tongue in cheek>
That's splitting hairs, isn't it? If you install only an editor, you'll get 0% of LilyPond's power. This is, indeed, less than "full power." My wording underestimates the severity of failing to install LilyPond, but one would hope (of all possible details to omit) that this might go without saying.
</tongue in cheek>

LilyPond is a _command_ _line_ application translating files written in
LilyPond's music description language [see text input] into complete
scores.  It does _not_ constitute a work environment.  What you will be
working with for entering your scores is either a text editor of your
choice, or a tool specialized for creating LilyPond files.

Sure, that sounds good.

Denemo: this is a GUI application for writing music scores that uses
LilyPond internally for creating its output.....

I think this is too much to ask people to read on the download page. The download page should be as simple as possible and direct people toward the resources they need. Much more than that, and you get into TL;DR territory. Linking directly from the proposed "editors" section of the download page to the "Easier editing" page would be more appropriate, I think.

What we want users to get is the idea that they will need *some* editor, which the download page can do in a compact way. Providing a brain-dead easy "can't miss it" link to profiles of the various editors, and links directly to the Denemo and Frescobaldi homepages, would be enough.

hjh