Re: LilyPond editing environments

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: LilyPond editing environments
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:30:29 +0100

Am 09.12.2013 18:19, schrieb Carl Peterson:
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Carl Peterson <address@hidden>wrote:

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

Would a section "Online Tools" better be placed between the
"full-fledged" editors (Frescobaldi/Denemo) and "Text editors" or after the
"Text editors".

I think we could consider not only score editors but also tools like
- http://scalematcher.adamspiers.org/
or
- a tool for harmonic analysis someone announced just recently and which
I unfortunately don't find right now.

Urs

I think here you're starting to cross the line from editors/tools (things
that help you use and work with LilyPond) into more of a "Gallery" (things
that people have done with LilyPond). Scale Matcher is an interesting,
"This is what someone has done with LilyPond" (similar to "Pondings"). The
difference between it and Lilybin is that Lilybin is an online editing
environment that compiles whatever the user wants. Scale Matcher only does
one thing through a user interface.

To clarify on this point, I would separate "Gallery" items into a separate
page from anything related to installing/using LilyPond. This is fairly
normal and I would want to maintain a clear distinction between things that
let you work with LilyPond to do what *you* want, and things that either
(a) have no functional use (e.g., postings of LilyPond-engraved works), or
(b) are limited-scope utilities (such as Scale Matcher), particularly in
the latter case so that someone doesn't go to the site mistakenly thinking
they can use it to do x (in spite of clear disclaimers to the contrary).

Carl

Actually this is what I thought immediately after sending my message ;-)

I think the "Gallery" of
- concerts
- published scores
- things that have been done with LilyPond

also deserves a few thoughts ...

Urs