Re: adding engravers

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: adding engravers
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:15:19 +0100

Hi David,

> I don't like exceptions.

I understand, me neither. But to me the current way looks like an
exception (until the user understands the details). I attached a small
list what users struggle with, whom I help to use LP*.

>> I know that your are reluctant towards such changes and mostly for
>> good reasons. In this case the explanation didn't convince me fully so
>> far.
>
> Shrug.  The proposed syntax also does not work all that well with Scheme
> engravers.

It's not about my syntax, it's about ease of use for inexperienced
users. I won't propose another syntax. My question was more like: if you
(who knows the details) see a way of simplifying this for the user, I
would welcome it.

Cheers,
Joram

* Here is the list (real life, incomplete and unordered), not with the
intend that this has to be changed, just to give an impression what
"exception" means for non-programmers (in most cases I know the reason
and try to teach it, but that is a complete new universe for most
musicians):

- what does " mean? sometimes enclosing in "" is needed sometimes not
- sometimes # before the value is needed sometimes not
- sometimes it's Staff sometimes \Staff
- most commands start with \ arguments not, but it is not: \key d major
- mostly spaces do not matter, but sometimes text} is bad
- what is this tagline I didn't call for?
- \transpose c d \relative {…} is ok, but \relative \transpose c d {…} not