Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 07:14:28 +0100

Anthonys Lists <address@hidden> writes:

> Likewise, I have no trouble using lilypond's *P*D*F* manuals. My mind
> is very text-oriented. But I HATE HYPERTEXT. My IQ is off the scale
> (not really, but I'm in the top few percent of the population), but
> give me a web-site and if what I'm looking for is not staring me in
> the face, then I have difficulty finding it.

How do you get along with the documentation in Info format and TeX as
its info reader?

I'm interested because that's

a) hypertext
b) what I use predominantly
c) and I hate HTML documentation

but it features fast indexing, flat searches and instant response.  And
I get along very well with it, certainly better than with PDF.  Which
makes me suspect that it's not as much the "hypertext" aspect but rather
the typical browser representation and nabigation and speed that gets in
my way.

> So you can NOT conclude that a "reasonably intelligent" visitor will
> be able to find what they're looking for.

My usual way for handing out manual links is to first find them in Info
with Emacs (usually using the i command with specific keywords), then
use a search engine on key phrases in the right chapter for digging up
the web links.

> I'm "extremely intelligent" and I have difficulty. And I doubt I'm
> alone ...

See above.  But it's not "hypertext" per se but HTML and its browser
universe for me.

--
David Kastrup