Re: survey on multiple development versions

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: survey on multiple development versions
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:07:07 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Solomon" <address@hidden>
To: "LilyPond Users" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:23 PM
Subject: survey on multiple development versions

Hey all,

I recently e-mailed the development list about multiple concurrent development versions and I’d like to ask users, especially those currently using the development version, to take the time to respond to a question regarding the proposal.

If lilypond.org were to propose multiple development versions (say 5 instead of 1), each offering a different set of experimental features (including the canonical development version), and if lilypond.org offered information on which versions were in need of testing by what types of users, would you be interested in helping out by doing some typesetting with these alternative versions?

Cheers,
MS

It seems to be fixing a problem we don't have.  What would be the benefit?

I would also mention that, for this to work, there would need to be parallel documentation streams, too - otherwise users would read the docs for A, assume it's in B and rightly complain if it wasn't. This would entail 1) even _more_ confusion about which is the right doc set to read and 2) an impossible upload. Currently my internet access is screwed for about 5 hours every fortnight while I upload the new version. I don't see I could lose it for 5 times that long. It would also exceed my monthly quota in a single day.

--
Phil Holmes