Re: survey on multiple development versions

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: survey on multiple development versions
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:56:48 +0200

On Dec 10, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Solomon" <address@hidden>

Currently, LilyPond development is down from the level it was 2-3 years ago in
terms of people proposing ambitious improvements (medieval music, footnotes,
page breaking algorithms, etc.) with the exception of David’s work.  I think
that at least part of the reason for this is because of difficulties
integrating large projects into the main branch.

> It might make more sense to think about improved ways of creating stable
> releases during a continuing development cycle.

What you say above is a more general way to state the program.  Generally, we
need to figure out how can we have a robust continuous development cycle
benefiting from multiple players while continuing to create stable releases.
The survey I’m sending out is trying to gage one way that user participation
may help in this - it is certainly not the only way.

Cheers,
MS